The EmailOctopus service (the "Service") is a marketing service offered through the URL emailoctopus.com (including any subdomains), our eocampaign sites and our eomail websites (together referred to as the "Website") that allows you to create, send and manage bulk email messages to individual recipients. Each such email message in respect of which you use the Service, including the image, text and code comprised in it, is referred to in these Terms as "Content"). EmailOctopus is owned and operated by Three Hearts Digital Ltd., a London based company. “You” are a user of the Service.
Our responsibility for loss or damage if you are a consumer
- In order to use the Service, you must:
- be a business or a consumer able to enter into valid contracts;
- complete the registration process;
- agree to the Terms; and
- provide true, complete, and up to date contact information.
- By using the Service, you represent and warrant that you meet all the requirements listed above, and that you won't use the Service in a way that violates any laws or regulations. EmailOctopus may refuse service and change eligibility requirements at any time.
- Are you a business customer or a consumer? In some areas you will have different rights under these terms depending on whether you are a business or consumer. You are a consumer if:
- You are an individual.
- You are buying a service from us wholly or mainly for your personal use (not for use in connection with your trade, business, craft or profession).
Accepting these Terms
These Terms apply from when you sign up for the Service. Clicking the ‘Sign Up’ button means that you’ve officially "signed” the Terms and a binding contract will come into existence on the basis of the Terms (“Agreement”). If you sign up for the Service on behalf of a company or other entity, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to accept these Terms on their behalf.
Closing your account
You or we may terminate this Agreement at any time and for any reason by giving notice in writing (including email) to the other party. We won't refund or reimburse you any Subscription Fees if there's cause, like a violation of these Terms. Once terminated, we may permanently delete your account and all the data associated with it, including your Content from our Website.
- Account and password
You're responsible for keeping your account name and password confidential. You're also responsible for any use of your account, whether or not you authorised the use. You must immediately notify us of any unauthorised use of your accounts. We're not responsible for any losses due to stolen or hacked passwords. We don't have access to your current password, and for security reasons, we may only reset your password.
Subscriptions and payment
- We may make certain Services available to you free of charge, up to certain limits as described on the Website (“Free Services”). Usage of the Services in excess of those limits requires a paid subscription. We may terminate your access to the Free Services at any time without prior notice and will have no liability in respect of such termination. Without limiting the scope of clause 15, the Free Services are provided without any warranty.
- If you register for one of our paid monthly subscriptions, this ‘Subscription’ section applies to you.
- The “Subscription Fees” are the fees payable for your subscription, as specified to you when you register for a paid subscription to the Service. You shall pay the Subscription Fees to us for the term of your subscription.
- Your subscription begins as soon as your initial payment is processed. Your subscription will auto-renew (that is, it will automatically roll over on expiry to a new period of the same duration) until you cancel the subscription. You can cancel your subscription at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Dashboard. Your payment is non-refundable and your subscription will continue until the end of the current billing period. The Subscription Fees are subject to change at any time, but you will be notified of any change by email to the address listed on your account. We will also post a notice of the change on the Website. The change will take effect at the end of your subsequent billing period.
- Subscription Fees are payable in the currency specified when you sign up for the Service and are exclusive of value added tax (or other applicable sales tax), which shall be added at the appropriate rate.
- Exercising your right to change your mind if you are a consumer (Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013). If you are a consumer in the European Union then for most products and services bought online you have a legal right to change your mind within 14 days and receive a refund. We offer a 14-day ‘cooling-off period’. At any time during the 14 days from the commencement of your subscription, you may notify us of your wish to cancel your subscription. We will refund you any sums paid in respect of the subscription you cancel in this way, using the payment method you used when signing up for the subscription.
- Credit cards
As long as you're a subscriber or have an outstanding balance with us, you will provide us with valid credit card information and authorise us to deduct the monthly or yearly charges against that credit card. You must replace the information for any credit card that expires with information for a different valid credit card. You represent and warrant that you are authorised to use any credit card you provide details of, and that any and all charges may be billed to that credit card and won't be rejected. If, for some reason, we're unable to process your credit card order, we'll try to contact you by email and suspend your account until your payment can be processed.
We'll give you a refund for the unexpired portion of a prepaid month if we stop providing the Service to you for a reason that's not laid out in these Terms. Except where you cancel the subscription during our 14-day cooling off period referred to in clause 7.5. You won't be entitled to a refund from us under any other circumstances.
- Either you or we may terminate this Agreement upon written notice to the other party of a material breach, or if the other party becomes the subject of a petition in insolvency proceedings, bankruptcy, receivership, liquidation or assignment for the benefit of its creditors.
Rules and abuse
- General rules
- You promise to follow these rules:
- You won't send Spam! By "spam", we mean the definition provided by Spamhaus;
- You won't use purchased, rented, or third party lists of email addresses;
- You won't violate our Acceptable Use Policy, which is part of this Agreement;
- If you violate any of these rules, then we may suspend or terminate your account;
- You will comply with all applicable data protection legislation, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation; and
- You may only use our bandwidth for your use of the Service.
- You shall:
- provide us with all necessary cooperation in relation to the Service and all necessary access to such information as may be required by us in order to provide you with the Service;
- comply with all applicable laws and regulations with respect to your Content and activities under these Terms;
- obtain and shall maintain all necessary licences, consents, and permissions necessary for us, our contractors and agents to perform our obligations under these Terms, including without limitation the Service;
- ensure that your Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) account complies with the requirements specified by us on our website from time to time; and
- be solely responsible for maintaining your AWS account necessary for the provision of the Service.
- As part of the Service, we will action on your behalf any “unsubscribe” requests received from recipients of Content you send using the Service.
- Reporting abuse
If you think anyone is violating any of these Terms, please notify us immediately. If you received spam you think came from an EmailOctopus user, we want to hear about it. If you think anyone has posted material that violates any copyrights, then you may notify us.
- SES and third party providers
- As a condition of using the Service, you shall enable us to access your AWS account. Subject to the terms of these Terms, you acknowledge and agree that access to AWS and the AWS Simple Email Service (SES) is not provided to you under these Terms, and is subject to a separate agreement between you and Amazon Web Services.
- You acknowledge that the AWS or an operator of a Third Party Service may render ineffective or impair the sending, receipt of viewing of any Content (for example, by breaking links in the Content or removing images from the Content). For the avoidance of doubt, you acknowledge that we shall have no liability to you in respect of any such action.
- If at any time you cease to have a current SES account in good standing, you will be unable to use the Service. Your obligation to pay the Subscription Fees will remain unaffected.
You shall defend, indemnify and hold us harmless against claims, actions, proceedings, losses, damages, expenses and costs (including without limitation court costs and reasonable legal fees) arising out of or in connection with your use of the Service (or us taking any action in relation to the Service at your direction), including any claim or action from a recipient of any Content sent by means of the Service.
- Our responsibility for loss or damage if you are a business
- This section 15 sets out our entire financial liability (including any liability for the acts or omissions of our employees, agents and subcontractors) to you:
- arising under or in connection with these Terms;
- in respect of any use made by you of the Service; and
- in respect of any representation, statement or tortious act or omission (including negligence) arising under or in connection with these Terms.
- Except as expressly and specifically provided in these Terms:
- you assume sole responsibility for results obtained from your use of the Service, and for conclusions drawn from such use. We shall have no liability for any damage caused by errors or omissions in any information, instructions or scripts provided to us by you in connection with the Service, or any actions taken by us at your direction;
- all warranties, representations, conditions and all other terms of any kind whatsoever implied by statute or common law are, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, excluded from these Terms; and
- the Service is provided to you on an "as is" basis.
- Nothing in these Terms excludes our liability:
- for death or personal injury caused by our negligence; or
- for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Subject to section 15.3 above :
- We shall not be liable whether in tort (including for negligence or breach of statutory duty), contract, misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise for any:
- loss of profits,
- loss of business,
- depletion of goodwill and/or similar losses,
- loss or corruption of data or information,
- pure economic loss, or
- special, indirect or consequential loss, costs, damages, charges or expenses however arising under these Terms; and
- our total aggregate liability in contract, tort (including negligence or breach of statutory duty), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise, arising in connection with the performance or contemplated performance of these Terms shall be limited to the total Subscription Fees paid by you during the 12 months immediately preceding the date on which the claim arose or £100, whichever is the greater.
- We are responsible to you for foreseeable loss and damage caused by us. If we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking this contract or our failing to use reasonable care and skill, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the contract was made, both we and you knew it might happen, for example, if you discussed it with us during the sales process.
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; for breach of your legal consumer rights in relation to the Service.
- We are not liable for business losses. If you are a consumer we only supply our service for to you for domestic and private use. If you use our service for any commercial, business or re-sale purpose our liability to you will be limited as set out in Clause 15.
We won't be held liable for any delays or failure in performance of any part of the Service, from any cause beyond our control. This includes, but is not limited to, changes to law or regulations, embargoes, fires, earthquakes, floods, strikes, power blackouts, unusually severe weather conditions, and acts of hackers or third party internet service providers.
Data processing terms
To the extent that you are a business and we process personal data on your behalf in providing the Services, the Data Processing Terms shall apply and are incorporated into these Terms.
Proprietary rights owned by us
Subject to the limited rights expressly granted in these Terms, we reserve all our rights in and to the Services, including all of our related intellectual property rights (including patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyrights). No rights are granted to you under these Terms other than as expressly set forth in these Terms. You will respect our proprietary rights. “EmailOctopus” and the “EmailOctopus” logo are trademarks belonging to Three Hearts Digital Ltd. You are not authorised by us to use our trademarks or brand assets without prior permission.
Proprietary rights owned by you
You represent and warrant that you either own or have permission to use all of your Content. You retain ownership of your Content. By using the Service you grant us and our agents and subcontractors a licence to use your Content in order for us to provide, and ensure proper operation of the Service. You acknowledge and agree that we will have the right to use your Content in an anonymised way (which does not identify you or the recipient) for the purposes of increasing our spam identification techniques.
Even if we delay in enforcing these terms, we can still enforce them later. If we do not insist immediately that you do anything you are required to do under these terms, or if we delay in taking steps against you in respect of your breaking them, that will not mean that you do not have to do those things and it will not prevent us taking steps against you at a later date.
Any of these terms that expressly or by implication is intended to continue or come into force on or after termination of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect. Without limitation, clauses 14 Indemnity, 15 Our responsibility for loss or damage Suffered by you if you are a business, 16 Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you if you are a consumer , 18 Data processing terms, 28 Third party rights,29 If you are a business - governing law and jurisdiction, and 30 Which laws apply to this contract and where you may bring legal proceedings if you are a consumer shall continue in full force and effect notwithstanding the termination of this Agreement.
- If any provision (or part of a provision) of these Terms is found by any court or administrative body of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions shall remain in force.
- If any invalid, unenforceable or illegal provision would be valid, enforceable or legal if some part of it were deleted, the provision shall apply with whatever modification is necessary to give effect to the commercial intention of the parties.
- These Terms, and any documents referred to in them, constitute the whole agreement between the parties and supersede any previous arrangement, understanding or agreement between them relating to the subject matter they cover.
- Each of the parties acknowledges and agrees that in entering into these Terms it does not rely on any undertaking, promise, assurance, statement, representation, warranty or understanding (whether in writing or not) of any person (whether party to these Terms or not) relating to the subject matter of these Terms, other than as expressly set out in these Terms.
No partnership or agency
- You shall not, without our prior written consent of us, assign, transfer, charge, sub-contract or deal in any other manner with all or any of our rights or obligations under these Terms.
- We may at any time assign, transfer, charge, sub-contract or deal in any other manner with all or any of our rights or obligations under these Terms.
Nothing in these Terms is intended to or shall operate to create a partnership between the parties, or authorise either party to act as agent for the other, and neither party shall have the authority to act in the name or on behalf of or otherwise to bind the other in any way (including, but not limited to, the making of any representation or warranty, the assumption of any obligation or liability and the exercise of any right or power).
Third party rights
These Terms do not confer any rights on any person or party other than you and us.
If you are a business - Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Which laws apply to this contract and where you may bring legal proceedings if you are a consumer?
- These Terms and any disputes or claims arising out of or in connection with them or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by, and construed in accordance with, the law of England.
- The parties irrevocably agree that the courts of England have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with these Terms or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).
- These Terms are governed by English law and you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the products in the English courts. If you live in Scotland you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the products in either the Scottish or the English courts. If you live in Northern Ireland you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the products in either the Northern Irish or the English courts.
- As a consumer, you will benefit from any mandatory provisions of the law of the country in which you are resident. Nothing in these terms and conditions, including this clause 30, affects your rights as a consumer to rely on such mandatory provisions of local law.
- In addition, if you are a consumer, please note that disputes may be submitted for online resolution to the European Commission Online Dispute Resolution platform.
Thank you for taking the time to read these Terms.